As a working woman, I have some bitches of days. It starts at 6 a.m. and goes until 7 p.m., if I’m lucky. Two things have always struck me about these “hell” days: a) how long it takes me to detox from the sheer misery of it and b) how hard it is to sleep when I do.
Oh, don’t get me wrong; I’m not giving up my open-ended Ambien prescription (and no, you can’t have my doctor’s name) but I wanted to figure out a more natural way to come down a little before sleep.
If I didn’t “come down” a little before taking the Ambien, I found I woke up the next day with clenched teeth, the same angry thoughts, and only a sense of having been asleep. Sounds like John McCain, right?
So once again, I took my mangy self in hand and said, “practice what you preach, Green Smoothie woman.” I knew all the ingredients of a smoothie that activated the calming elements within the body. And, since I don’t believe in an all liquid diet (we’re not babies, for goodness sake), I decided to heal myself with this dinner.
Absolutely every ingredient below will relax you. Eat it slowly and savor. Your boss can’t get you now. Nor can that customer.
You are alone with your dinner, RELAXING. Before popping that Ambien, of course.
The only thing I’ve left out that is truly relaxing is dark chocolate, but I know you all can find that on your own.
THE END OF SHEER HELL DINNER
1 Turkey Burger
1 Gumby Green Smoothie
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 egg white
Dash Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of ground sage or 1 leaf, chopped fine (optional)
Additions: onion, red onion, whole wheat bun, fresh cucumber slices, fresh carrot slices, mustard, ketchup, lettuce leaves
1. Separate the egg white and whip with a fork or hand held blender until the eggs whites have thickened in texture.
2. Pour the egg into the ground turkey and mix in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and sage.
3. Cook in an oiled flying pan over medium-high heat until the desired level of doneness is reached.
4. Dress your burger to your pleasure.
Gumby Green Smoothie
5 kiwi fruits, peeled and cut into large pieces
1/2 avocado, pit removed and flesh scooped out
1 cup coconut water
2 cups baby spinach leaves
2 cups chamomile, lavender or decaffeinated green tea, room temperature
1. Add the prepared kiwi to the blender along with the avocado. Pulse until broken down.
2. Add the coconut water and pulse until smooth.
3. Put in the spinach and tea or herbal infusion and blend, dropping ice cubes through the top until the desired consistence is reached.
I have a few other ideas of how you can feel good. They are here in SKINNY GREEN SMOOTHIES. Click on the title and for under $5 bucks, you are on your way to two months of smoothie recipes. That should be enough, no???